UNEA daily monitor is powered by The Youth Cafe’s delegates attending the fourth UN Environment Assembly. The newsletter tracks the most important negotiations and events and delivers the daily news through the lense of young people.
On Monday, March 11, 2019, the newly elected UN Environment Executive Director Inger Andersen met with the Major Group Leads and Regional Representatives to UN Environment.
Ms. Andresen spoke in a personal capacity as she has not officially assumed her post as the new head of UN Environment. She did share her vision for this UN agency, underlining the need for a reassessment while raising the level of ambition and effectively working across the UN system. Ms. Andersen also responded to the concerns of the representatives in the room, which included:
- Creating better opportunities for involvement and contribution;
- Defending environmental rights;
- Including women and recognizing their competence;
- Working effectively at the regional level and across regions; and
- Engaging with business and trade unions as well as with children and youth.
Ms. Andersen committed to meetwith the Major Groups and Regional Representatives going forward at future UN Environment Assemblies.