The Youth Cafe Internship Programme
The Youth Cafe is now accepting applications for its internship program.
Our internship program in the past 2 years
The Youth Cafe Internship Programme offers qualified and eligible local, international, and diaspora students office-based, online, and in the field the unique opportunity to acquire direct practical experience in both The Youth Cafe’s and third party companies’ work and under the direct supervision of experienced staff and/or adviser.
Highly-skilled young professionals, students, and recent graduates who are interested in undertaking an internship in an African country.
*FY2017 to 2018 participants in this program are not eligible to apply.
Currently open until 15 October, 2020
The Youth Cafe, Private-sector companies, industry associations, and non-profit corporations in intern countries or other countries based on arrangements by the host organizations. Host companies are determined after matching by the The Youth Cafe and subsequently approved by the Screening Committee.
The duration of an internship is normally between six and sixteen weeks. The total duration may be extended up to a maximum of six months, when there are special requirements and / or special needs of the receiving division / office.
*Intern should follow the schedule appointed by The Youth Cafe.
Persons who satisfy all the following requirements are eligible to apply.
□Agreeing with the purpose of this program and willing to cooperate with host organizations for promoting internationalization and overseas business development, and building networks with overseas universities etc.
□Holding citizenship of an eligible country or region.
□Proficiency in English language.
□Applicants should be at least 20 years of age and not older than 40 as of September 14, 2019.
□Applicants must be able to submit a school or university enrolment or graduation certificate and/or a letter of recommendation from the (enrolled/graduated) university or company etc.
□Able to undertake required training and full-time or part time internship at the host company.
□Satisfying with any other individual conditions required by each company.
□Person who previously participated in this program of FY2017 through FY2018 can not apply this year.
Application & selection method
□Registration is acceptable on an online basis by using registration form on The Youth Cafe website.
□Selection is conducted through document screening, first interview (English), and secondary interview (English).
□During the selection process, various documents (qualification from university, language skills, passport copy etc.), letters of recommendation, photographs, etc.
Main support for interns
Allowance: The Youth Cafe doesn’t pay interns. Host companies have different policies for paying interns for the entire duration of the internship.
Travel costs and accommodation expenses associated with the internship.
Main responsibilities of interns
□Formulating an internship plan (roles/goals, etc. of an intern) discussing with the Internship manager
□Participating in pre-training, follow-up training, and wrap-up presentation.
□Engaging in full-time internship during the designated period.
□Taking responsibility for their own safety and health thoroughly. Securing emergency related information network. Contact with The Youth Cafe and the host company regularly, continually reporting or consulting with them in case of injury or mental disease etc.
□Being obliged to handle some tasks requested from the program office (document, notification, and report) not only during internship period but also before and after the internship.
□Appropriate behavior required as a young professional .
*This program offers work experience, not actual employment. It aims to provide interns with workplace skills and know-how. Please note it is not a substitute for casual or part-time employment etc.
*Internships are offered depending on the availability of meaningful assignments and the needs and capacity of units/offices to receive and supervise intern.
How to Apply for The Youth Cafe Internship Programme
After completing the form below, we will get in touch with more information if selected for the next steps.
With regard to application signup, please confirm and agree with the following important points before signing your application.
1. Even after applying for registration, matching with a company will not necessarily be guaranteed.
2. Absolutely no inquiries will be answered in regard to the selection status or reasons for the decision.
3. Even after approval by the Screening Committee and matching has been established, acceptance may be cancelled due to unavoidable circumstances (natural disasters, etc.).
4. After approval by the Screening Committee and matching is established after mutual agreement, cancellation may not be made at the convenience of the company or intern.
5. After starting the internship, temporary return or interruption of activities on company’s /intern’s own conveniences may not be accepted.
6. Internship may not be able to be fully completed in the desired acceptance period due to contingent factors.
7. Since the internship supported by The Youth Cafe, a non-profit making organization acting in the interest of public good, the program’s results achieved through hosting of interns will be made public via official websites and similar media. For the FY2019 fiscal year, an overview of each intern's name, country of origin, and overview of internship at the host company will be disclosed.